Monday, November 19, 2012

Where you least expect it

Since the introduction of Zofran to my life, the whole pregnancy thing has drastically changed. I go shopping. I even do a little grocery shopping. Lack of nausea doesn't mean smells don't affect me or that I magically have energy to do a bunch of errands, but it does allow me to get out for small trips assuming I rest whenever I feel the need to- I've been putting those benches at the front of store to good use- and even opened up a folding chair once and just sat down next to the display for a little bit.

Due to the coming holiday, I have family on their way to my house right now and it wasn't until last night that I realized that while I have a guest bedroom with a bed, sheets, and comforter- I don't have any guest pillows. Pregnancy has slowly claimed every spare pillow we had so that now, there are no extras. Because of this, I decided that I better head to Walmart to pick up a few.

I went in for pillows and chicken broth- after circling the parking lot forever and finally deciding to park way out in Timbuktu I decided that I didn't want to have to come back until the holiday was over because it was so packed and it's just MONDAY- during the day- seriously, don't people have to work? Anyways... while in the store I started thinking of other things I might need or want, and having decided that there is NO WAY I want to come back to this store until after Thanksgiving or subject any of my family to having to fight the crowds, I took a "go ahead and buy it now" attitude. Better to have too much than to have to fight the crowds later.

Well... that lead to a fairly full cart of groceries... and I was there by myself. After having walked the ENTIRE store, I was thoroughly exhausted, and as I was lifting groceries out of my cart at the checkout I was thinking how on earth am I ever going to have the energy to lift these AGAIN into my car?

Thanks to Cameron's influence, I now talk to the cashiers wherever I go. He's really taught me to take more notice of people and treat them with not just kindness, but interest. His ability to talk to and take interest in the lives of people he doesn't know is one of Cameron's best qualities.

But back to my story- So... I'm talking to the lady at the cash register and asking her how her day is going and she starts talking to me about my day and asking about the baby (I may only be 18 1/2 weeks along, but I look VERY pregnant regardless of what I wear). It was a really nice conversation and as she was finishing up she looked at me and said "you look really tired, can I get you some help with those bags?"

WHAT? I'm at Walmart. They don't help you with your bags. In fact, I don't think I have ever in all my experience with the store even come across an employee remotely capable of helping me with a service they do offer. If anything, I have through experience come to rate Walmart as being the store with the absolute worst customer service in the history of the concept. Yet, this woman saw the relief on my face when she offered the help and immediately called someone up to the front to come push my heavy cart out and load everything into my car.

The guy who came up to take me out to my car was friendly too. He asked me about the baby and told me about his family member who is also expecting. He even sorted out the bags with cold things in them and put them up front so I could just take those in at home and leave the rest for someone else to carry up.


I never ever would have expected such kindness and service at Walmart. Yet, right when I needed it, there it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment