Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Addiction

I've officially known that I'm pregnant for a week now. It seems like so much longer. I've pinned about a million pregnancy-mommy related things already, facebook stalked all of my mommy friends, and started reading at least three different pregnant/mommy related blogs. I have the mommy books, the how to cope with it books, the this is what pregnant women should do books, the this is what you need to buy, what you can plan to spend.... it goes on and on and on. Between the two of us, I think we now have a library of about 11 books dedicated to pregnancy/newborn care. Whats awful is that it isn't even the beginning of all the books I want to read. I've started looking at maternity clothes (and prices- ouch!) as well as perusing craigslist for all things related baby. The one great thing about being in a big city during this time is the abundant choices I have. I don't just have babies r us, target and walmart. I have specialty stores, maternity stores, and the best part: SPECIALTY THRIFT STORES! Yes! There are stores here that just sell "gently used" baby stuff and maternity clothes.

I already know the percent that my insurance company is willing to pay, what my deductible is, and a good estimate of what we can expect to pay out of pocket. I know the terms for how long we have to add the baby to our insurance policy after birth and what situations require "pre-approval" for coverage.

I've already looked around at the prices for disposable diapers and have a plan "a" for how I would like to ideally go about purchasing diapers (of course if the baby ends up allergic to the brand I would prefer, then I'll have to come up with a different, possibly more expensive option). I also have started looking into cloth diapers. I'd like to try using cloth at home as much as possible to cut down on diaper costs and waste (from what I understand our landfills are full of a LOT of diapers- I'd like to at least make an effort to lessen the amount that I add to that).

I'm a little obsessed.... it's good... I think. I like being prepared... and informed. I really like knowing what I'm getting into and knowing as much about it as possible. I'm ready to tell people about being pregnant just so that I can start asking questions. I want to know what my mommy friends recommend. All in good time though I suppose... I still have another 33 1/2 weeks before the baby comes. No rush.